What is now the Village of New Lenox was first settled in the late 1820's, in the area of Gouger crossing ( Route 30 and Gouger Road ) and it was called VanHorne Point. New Lenox Township was established when Will County was created in 1852 with the building of the Rock Island Railroad between Chicago and Rock Island, Illinois. Originally named Tracey in honor of the general superintendent of the Rock Island Railroad. Mr. Tracy later requested that the community be renamed New Lenox after the Township which was named after Lenox, New York.
The Village of New Lenox wasn't officially created until October 4, 1946. In 1945 and 46 community leaders, F. Carlton Cole, Walter Baers and others reasoned that the community should be incorporated. Recognizing the benefits and the potential growth of the area, a community vote in the spring of 1946 resulted in the authorization for the creation of the Village of New Lenox. On October 4, 1946, the State of Illinois officially certified that the Village of New Lenox was legally organized and incorporated as a Village in the State of Illinois.
Visit the New Lenox Historical Society website.
On June 8, 2010, the New Lenox was officially designated as the 9th “Safe Community” in the United States. This prestigious designation is bestowed by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the National Safety Council (NSC). The NSC serves as the International Safe Communities Affiliate Support and Certifying Center for the United States.
New Lenox is a village in Will County, Illinois, United States. The village population was 24,394 as of 2010. The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning forecasts New Lenox will have a population of 90,652 in 2030.
New Lenox Properties
About the Neighborhood
NOTICE: Many homes contain recording devices, and buyers should be aware they may be recorded during a showing.
DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT (DMCA) NOTICE